Thursday, May 16, 2019

Swimming with paddles, fins, and cross training with a Prone Paddle Board

It's been almost a year since I've posted a workout, but I've been training consistently for the last 9 months and I'm a bit faster than 3-4 years ago.  At our Spring championship meet, I was able to swim a 1:02 100 Fly (SCY), and I was our age group's high point award winner.   I used to scoff at a 100 Fly of 1+ minute, but at age 57 now I am going to have to continue to ramp up training to get back under 1:00.

I've tried to swim 6 days each week, and complete the entire workout of about 5200 SCY / 4800 LCM.   In addition to pool work, I've been prone paddle boarding and have even competed at a couple of local races.  The competition is exciting, but I've learned where to find real waves here on the usually-flat Gulf of Mexico, so the "Total Body Confusion" happens because it's so much fun!


Here's what we did today, at 5:30am workout in the pool... it was loaded with a lot of work with paddles and fins. 

8 x 125 warm up on 1:52

3x (4 x 100 kick on 1:35
     (4 x 75 drill on 1:06

5 x 400 pull on 5:20

100 swim down

Total 5200 scy

On the pull set, I was able to descend from about 5:00 to 4:40 on the last one.  Eric Herman was there stroke-for-stroke as we pushed each other to the finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment